Distance from Hayani Country Stay: 10km
The country town of Heidelberg, situated only 75 km from Oliver Tambo Airport, was established by Heinrich Ueckermann when he bought a part of the farm Langlaagte and started a general dealer in 1861. The actual development of the town started in 1865 and he named the town after his alma mater in Germany.
The town survived the First and Second Wars of Independence and today there are still many buildings dating back to the period between 1890 to 1910 that have been preserved.
Heidelberg served as capital of the ZAR Republic from 1880 to 1883 and today an obelisk with busts of the Triumvirate Paul Kruger, P J Joubert and M W Pretorius can still be seen in front of the old sandstone Town Hall, erected in 1939.
In 1885 the Witwatersrand Gold Reef was discovered in the Heidelberg district and later the Mining Commissioner established offices in town.
Heidelberg boasts one of the richest agricultural districts in the country with a highly diversified agricultural base. The town has excellent medical facilities, has 5 shopping centres, and boasts an exceptional range of sporting and recreational facilities. Heidelberg offers a variety of Restaurants and Steak Houses.
Tourist Attractions in the Area:
- The Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve is about 20 km from Hayani Country Stay.
- The AG Visser House in Town was built in 1890. A bronze bust of the poet can be seen in front of the house.
- The Triumvirate Monument at the old City Hall.
- The beautiful Sandstone church known as the Old Klipkerk.
- The Bakoond historical monument, where the boers build a bakoond over the fountain to safe-guard their water supply.
- The Jewelry factory and Sweet Shop.